Thursday, April 11, 2013

A M A

I know what you all are thinking....if she's AMA (advanced maternal age), she must be ancient!  Those were certainly the thoughts that ran through my head when I was bestowed the title. 

I remember the day that I earned my title very clearly...

B and I were gitty with glee in the small waiting room at the OBGYN's office.  It was a bright and early Monday morning on January 7th.  We had just gotten a positive pregnancy on Saturday and we were both still in shock and in hopeful anticipation that this was a reality; that we really were carrying a vialble pregnancy.   

FINALLY, after what felt like years, my doctor came into the little room.  She had a big smile on her face, so I knew that we were all celebrating the great news.

My doctor, Dr. D., has been through the incredible journey to parenthood with us every step of the way.  In my heart of hearts, I believe that she truly was just as excited and anxious about our SECOND natural surprise pregnancy as we were. 

Dr. D. told us that the blood work looked fantastic and she was anxious to get us into the sonogram room to take a peek.  The sonogram showed one perfect gestational sac.  I mean...text book perfect!!! Honestly, Ben and I know A LOT about pregnancy and we knew exactly what to look for, so when that little sac popped right up on the screen, all three of us pointed and shouted ~ and celebrated!!! 

Once we were back in the little waiting room with Dr. D., she started going through the list...
"I want you to continue blood work every 48 hours and then see you back in one week for another sonogram.  Due to your AMA status, we will be doing some more in depth testing and a few extra tests in the next few weeks, but we'll get into that more later.  Another positive about being AMA is that we will do a level 2 sonogram at 20 weeks!!!"

B and both nodded with huge goofy smiles, said thanks, and walked out the door. We got to the elevator and B turned and asked, "What's AMA?"  For once, I didn't know!  I know every acronym and medical term when it came to infertility / pregnancy, but I hadn't heard of that one!!!

Thank goodness for Goo.gle!  In the car I quickly pulled out my phone, typed in "AMA Pregnancy", and hit "search".

It popped up immediately.


Advanced

Maternal

Age


WHAT!?!?!  My first reaction was...MAD!!  How dare she!  I thought she was my friend!  I'm NOT OLD!!  I could kick her ass in a heartbeat ~ I can run faster,  I can run longer, I teach killer group fitness classes, I can lift heavier weights....*%^*$(_^(^$(#%!&)%!!!!!  I AM NOT OLD!!!!

After years of being labeled, "infertile", now I'm labeled AMA!!!! 

B didn't know what to say or how to react to this...he knew that he should tread very carefully.  His way of treading very carefully was saying nothing but driving straight to Dun.kin Do.nuts.  Once there...I ordered my fair share of calories and then sat down to stew.

Well, it's been a few months and I am now wearing my acronym proudly. I can at least say that I have made the AMA cut-off by only a few months...so I'm at least on the younger side of AMA.  :)

Yes, I am "advanced maternal age", but I am healthy and strong and have earned the right to be where I am; happy and vivacious with my second pregnancy!!!

It could be worse!  My friend who got pregnant through IVF at age 36 in the Czech Republic was labeled Elderly Prima Gravia....ELDERLY!  I know I am close to her age, but I really do not believe that 36 should be considered elderly!  Geez!

Each month when I have my appointment, my doctor's office does a great job of reminding me, several times, of my status and I take it in stride.  Each additional test and sonogram that I undergo...because I am having a baby, at my age, is another step in this incredible journey.  I have decided this acronym is a new badge to add to my shield of "Infertility Warrior Survivor"!!!   

(Plus....seriously...I'm really not that old!!)

1 comment:

  1. Girl you are soooo far from old!!! I like the "new" acronym much better!!!! Congrats again, Carrie...such wonderful news! Do you also see Sam? Love her!!

    ReplyDelete